Discover the top ten reasons why apples should be incorporated into your diet.
An apple a day is said to keep the doctor away. Here are the reasons:
1) The phytonutrients in apples can help you regulate your blood sugar. Recent research has shown that apple polyphenols can help prevent spikes in blood sugar.
2) Apples are a good source of fiber, important in prevention of heart disease through healthy regulation of blood fat levels. Recent research has shown that eating apples can significantly lower many of our blood fats - an effect associated with its fat-soluble fiber, pectin.
3) Pectin contained in apples also helps to reduce cholesterol, preventing it from building up in the lining of blood vessel walls. This in effect also reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease.
4) Research suggests that apples may reduce the risk of colon cancer, prostate cancer and lung cancer.
5) Because apples are high in potassium, a mineral that helps control blood pressure, this fruit can help reduce the risk of stroke, cardiovascular disease and hypertension.
6) Apples contain quercetin, a potent antioxidant that may potentially protect brain cells from degeneration. Research suggests red apples such as Red Delicious are particularly rich in flavonoids that offer strong neuro-protective effects.
7) Some studies show that a diet rich in those antioxidants and vitamins found in apples may be good for asthma-sufferers. Experts believe that the 'phytochemicals' in apples, such as flavanoids and phenolic acids, help calm inflammation in the airways.
8) Apples are useful in helping us manage our appetite and feeling more satisfied with our food.
9) Research indicates that phloridzin (a flavanoid found only in apples) may protect post-menopausal women from osteoporosis and increase bone density.
10) The skin of the apple is full of antioxidant compounds that help protect the body. They are also high in the soluble fiber pectin which regulates the digestive function.
View in blog